As I have mentioned before, cell phones present a huge opportunity in the classroom. Our school policy is that cell phones must be turned off during school hours. This does not prevent students from using their phones. It take diligence to keep students from texting during class. The most common excuse I get is that they are checking the time. Never mind that I have two clocks in my room, and they aren't going anywhere until the bell rings. Cell phones have created a generation of people who can't tell time and don't wear watches.
Even though students aren't supposed to use their cell phones, I have my students use them. I guess I am a bad influence letting my students break the rules. But I think it is important that students learn to use their phones responsibly. I have students place reminders on their phones so they can keep track of tests, quizzes, and due dates.
Cell phones are not the only contraband - ipods and MP3 players are not allowed either. Recently teachers were asked for suggestions on updating the policy. The question teachers need to ask is "Does the motivation for using ipods out weigh the possible distractions ipods might create?" Also, what is acceptable for cell phones? Obviously, we cannot allow students to text at will, but what limits should we place on them? It will be interesting to see what policy the district develops and just how much impact the teachers in the trenches have.
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment