Friday, December 4, 2009

Snow Away

My students spent most of the week eagerly awaiting the snow that was to come on Friday. Only a teenager would think a day off one week after a week long holiday and two weeks before a two week holiday is better than getting out for summer a day early. Logic deficiencies are just one battle I wage each day. I on the other hand do not like snow days. They mess up my plans.

One of the topics I researched for the MTT program is distance learning. When my peers ask me about what I am studying, I always bring up this topic. Most of them know very little about this topic. They look at me like I am crazy when I tell them this is the future and will be a way to be a fiscally responsible alternative.

With distance learning, snow days will be a thing of the past. When I ask my peers to imagine a time where we do not have snow days, their eyes get big and they look for an escape. I stand by this idea. Most of our students have computers and internet. Soon only handful of students will lack this technology. It would take a great deal of planning before hand, but teachers can create distance modules for students on snow day. Students would spend the day completing these modules. As technology increases, video conferencing will be used on snow days as well.

Why should we let snow keep our students from learning? Kids may lose this day they think they are entitled to, but schools need to seize the opportunity to show students that the world doesn't stop for weather, even in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment