Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Classroom of the Future

Before getting to the classroom of the future, we must first look at the classroom of the present. My classroom has three computers, but multiple places to add computers. I have in infocus projector, Microsoft Office software, and a document camera. There are other technology that I don't have in the classroom, but I do have access to at school. Next year I will be able to use SmartTablets. My students have cell phones and iPods at their disposal. My students are stuck with me -- the nontechnology native. My students have always had a computer at home. I remember my first computer a Commodore 64 hooked up to a black and white TV.

A suburban school like Allen will always have the newest technology. What will change in the future is the teacher that will implement the technology. The next few years will bring teachers that have internalized the use of technology. To these teachers technology is not is not something separate from everything else. These teachers will know how to make full use of the resources the school provides.

In the future teachers will know and understand how to harness technology. Students won't have to hide their cell phones and iPods, but will use them for class work. The internet will make communication easier, and teachers and students will be able to engage in dialogue to facilitate learning. In the future, more classes will make use of podcasts and video.

I can see a time when, at least at the high school level, classes are a hybrid of face to face meetings and distance learning. Think of the financial advantages of only attending class four days a week. The fifth day would be spent with video instruction and online learning. This could also eliminate bad weather days. When it is too icy to go to school, students would attend class through distance learning. This would take a great deal of planning, but schools must meet these challenges.

The increased use of distance learning will allow student to take a larger variety of classes. Teachers with special skills can teach classes even if only a handful of students in the school want to take the class. Distance learning will allow the class to be full by enrolling students from multiple schools.

Technology changes and grows so rapidly I can only imagine what gadgets and programs my classroom will have in a few years. I do know that technology use will engage students and make the best use of the educational system. Teachers invested in technology will create a learning environment that meets the students on their own level. The educational system will be better served by these teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment