For the most part my professional development experience has been limited to being a participant. However, I have been in charge of programs for organizations outside the school district. The two organizations that I have the most responsibility are the Colin County A&M Club and Alpha Delta Kappa sorority. For CCAMC, I am the scholarship chair and Muster Chair. I send out the scholarship applications to schools and then organize them when they are returned. I also head the committee that determines the winner. Muster is a bigger responsibility. Planning the event requires reserving the location, coordinating the catering, finding a speaker, and organizing Roll Call. I am the current president of my chapter of Alpha Delta Kappa (a teaching sorority). I plan and preside over meetings. I have also had the opportunity to lead a workshop at a regional conference. The work shop was on program design for meetings.
At my school I am Co-Advisor of the Student Council and have been a team leader for English II. Primarily I have been a participant in in-service. However, I have directed team meetings where we designed lessons and planned units of study. As a STUCCO advisor I help guide student projects for our school and community.
1
To encourage continuous growth and development of individuals
As team leader I facilitated lesson design. I have mentored other teachers and students.
To assist people in responding to practical problems and issues of adult life
At an ADK conference I led a workshop on program design. In the classroom I encourage students to make real-life connections to our units of study.
To prepare people for current and future work opportunities
I help students develop the skills and behaviors that they will need in the future. I show students how our units of study can be related to their lives.
To assist in achieving desired results and adapting to change
I help sophomore students adjust to the high school. I work with STUCCO to improve the school.
To provide opportunities to examine and foster change related to societal and global issues
STUCCO has several committees that do projects for the community. Some are local projects others deal with larger issues such as the environment. I encourage my students to think about larger global issues.
2
Positives
A valuable in-service is one where I can take what I learned immediately back to the classroom. I also like engagement in in-service.
Problems
I get frustrated in in-services where I already know the information. I have been in trainings where I understand the material better than others so I have to wait while the instructor explains it to them in more depth
Monday, September 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment