Last summer I got a laptop. My mother was intrigued when I sat at her dining room table reading the comics online. I also showed my dad a video she had sent me. Since then she constantly emails me when she sees a laptop on sale. She thinks that if she gets one my dad would use it. He doesn't use their desk top computer. He rarely goes near it. If my mom wants him to read an email, she prints it out for him. She would like for him to be able to read the comics he likes but aren't carried in the paper.
She thought about getting one but always talked herself out of it. After almost a year of her talking about it, I pointed out to her that she really wanted one. She was scheduled to have surgery this week and would spend several weeks recovering (She didn't which has caused a whole new level of stress for me). I told her that if she was going to get one now would be the time to do it. Since she would be recovering in bed or in the recliner, she would get the most use out of the laptop now. So a week and a half ago I bought her a laptop. It's her very early anniversary/birthday/Christmas present.
Even though she didn't have surgery and can use the desk top, she has really loved using the laptop. I don't know that she gives my dad time to use it. She wasn't sure she would use the technology but when she got it she has embraced it.
I think teachers work the same way. Several years ago our classrooms were wired for surround sound, and we were given microphones to use. We all grumbled about them, but most of us have embraced this new technology and recognize its value. Many of the older teachers are unsure of technology, but when provided with a chance to use it do very well with it.
I think my challenge for this up coming year is to show my peers what technology can do and how to best incorporate it into class. Like my mom and the laptop, once teachers have the technology they will use it efficiently.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment