Friday, July 31, 2009

Evaluating the Media Component

I sent the Media Component to a friend and colleague to get feedback on it. I sent her the file and directions on how to open and view the files. She called me a little later and in talking with her realized we had a tech issue. I went up to school to see if we could figure it out. I took my laptop in case she needed to view it through the laptop.

When I got to school, I discovered that she either did not follow my directions or the directions were not clear enough. When I use this with my students I will need to demonstrate opening the file and give very clear directions. I hope to use this program this year. My students should become familiar with opening the program.

My friend found a mistake that needed to be edited. The one concern she had was the length of the Media Component. She felt it would be overwhelming for some students. Her suggestion was to break it down for students. So each night they would be responsible for only a few pages.

The other concern was with the availability for some students. We still have students that do not have internet access. However, the public library has computers students can use, and they can always use school computers. Because the component has YouTube videos it would be difficult to complete this at school.

Overall, after solving the tech issues she was impressed with the SoftChalk program. Another teacher was there so I gave both of them a demonstration of the program. They both were impressed with what the program could do. They wanted the school to buy it! We had some fun goofing around with quizzes and activities. So SoftChalk has two new fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment