Saturday, July 25, 2009

Knowledge into Practice

The technology courses have taught me about different things I can use in the classroom. When summer school is over, and if I have the energy, I will work on putting technology in place in my classroom. From these courses I have learned to think of technology not just as a method of delivery but also a method of assessment. Technology will play a bigger role in both of these this year in my classroom.

More multimedia in the classroom will help with student engagement. I want to use podcasts for instruction. If a student is struggling with class information he or she can download the podcast to get further instruction or clarification. Students have so much going on in their lives, that it is sometimes difficult for them to come in for tutoring. Podcasts can be seen as 24 hour a day tutoring. I would like to use video to model procedures for the students. My department already has plans to do this for our summer reading presentations. Video has a great potential to improve student learning. Teachers could video giving feedback on essays to help students understand how to do peer editing. There will be other opportunities during the year to film teachers modelling for the students. This will take time to plan but the results will be worth it.

Teachers should not get to have all the fun with technology. I want my students to feel comfortable using technology. They should be comfortable selecting the appropriate technology. Students can use their skills to create a product that can be used as an assessment. Students think they know everything about technology, but rarely are they good consumers of technology. Schools need to prepare students for the future when they will have to judge and evaluate the technology. Schools must teach students this new dimension of technological literacy.

My classroom will strive to do all this. I will embrace the technology I have or that the students have to prepare them for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment