I have now finished both of my videos. Each one had technical problems that needed to be overcome. As chronicled earlier, I had a surprise when I went to work on the first video. The camera files were not compatible with Windows Movie Maker. I did find a free converter (Prism) to use on the files. Once I converted the files, I had a good time turning my dogs into movie stars. One thing I still need to work on is when each a particular shot should be used. I can add that to my list of things to do in August. Editing the video was not difficult but it was time consuming. Some of my shots are too long and some are not long enough, mainly because I couldn't get my dogs to cooperate. I had fun playing with the different effects and picking the music that I felt matched my dogs.
The second video was not without problems.
I thought I had everything prepared. I charged my batteries, cleaned off the memory card, made sure my classroom microphone was charged, and set everything out to take to school (where I would be filming.) Problem number one, my memory card would only hold 14 seconds of video. I went to my backup camera. I couldn't get that one to work. In all my preparations it didn't occur to me to bring extra memory cards. Luckily I only live a few minutes away. I ran home to get additional memory cards. When I got back to school, my first camera would not work. I had hooked to the computer and somehow disabled it. It works now, but didn't then. I had to use my backup camera which does video, but is for still pictures. That evening I started editing. I noticed that the audio skipped and the picture quality was low, but I hoped when I published it would be better as it had been with the first video. I struggled with how to split the video precisely. I think this is part of the learning process; how to film a video so that the editing is manageable. I published the video, but my hopes were not realized. The camera quality is not very good.
I am encouraged that I was able to make the videos, even with the problems. I am looking forward to making videos for class and having my students make videos. I already have ideas for assignments. My Academic Associate (Department Head) has already given me a video assignment for August. I will be recording fellow teachers demonstrating a book talk. This is an assignment our sophomores will need to do the first few weeks of school.
What I have learned and/or need to work on. I think I will be better organized and have a better idea of what shots I need if I do a storyboard beforehand. I need to work on doing precision editing. Overall, making a video is not difficult and is something I can easily accomplish.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment