Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Websites

Years ago when I first started teaching, I began building a website to use for class. It had information about me, ways for parents & students to communicate with me. I had subpages for the units I teach. Students could get notes and calendars. I spent several years getting it just the way I wanted. I really embraced this technology.

Then tragedy struck. The district decided to get a new web program. Everything I had built and refined was gone. I had to start over. Now sometimes change can be good, but in this case it wasn't. The new program is not user friendly and there are restrictions on what I can do with the site (i.e. no subpages). The site has information about me and allows me to post notes and other things in folders. Students and parents can find information there. It serves its purpose, but I still don't like it.

The site has one background -- a boring white. I could add a gallery but then visitors would have to go to the site instead of it automatically seeing it on the page. My other problem with the site is in the announcements section. Two years ago I entered the due date for an assignment. Now I can't get it to go away. I have tried deleting it, typing over it, nothing works. So now for all eternity (or until we change web programs) Timelines are due August 23 & 24.

So with all this in mind, I have started an "Unofficial" website for class. This is the website I started in class for LaKeisha's and LaTosha's presentation. I have added sub pages. I still need to work on this assignment, but I feel good about the start I have on it.

I hope this can be a "living" resource for my class, just as my old page was.

No comments:

Post a Comment